Student Information

Student Information

All you need to know to make the most of your time with us

Diane Grannell, Principal, Bournemouth and Poole College

Welcome to the UK ...

and to the Bournemouth and Poole College!

The information below should provide you with all you need to know to start finding your way around and to make the most of your time as a member of our student community.

The International team are here to help, advise and support you Meet the team for names, faces and contact details…

Buses and Bus Passes

Both main College campuses are well served by local bus routes. There are two local bus companies that offer bus passes that will save you money if you are a regular traveller.

  • Yellow Buses operate in Bournemouth and east to Christchurch and beyond. They have a customer service office in Avenue Road in the centre of Bournemouth.
  • More Buses (Wilts & Dorset red buses) operate in Bournemouth and west to Poole and beyond. They have an office and travel shop at Poole Bus Station.

Campus Map

Lansdowne campus map
Bournemouth – The Lansdowne

Meyrick Road, Bournemouth BH1 3JJ
Download a pdf copy of the campus map

Campus Map

North Road campus map
Poole – North Road

North Road, Poole BH14 0LS
Download a pdf copy of the campus map

British Council 'Creating Confidence' Guide 2018-19

Creating Confidence

Making sure that your time studying in the UK is safe and enjoyable.

Download the British Council Study UK Creating Confidence Guide for a wide range of useful information for International students.

Documents to take to the International Office on arrival

The International Office will need to have a photocopy of your passport details page, student visa page and Police Registration Certificate (if applicable). 

Police Registration Information, Chinese LanguageCountries whose citizens are required to Register with the police:

Afghanistan • Algeria • Argentina • Armenia • Azerbaijan • Bahrain • Belarus • Bolivia • Brazil • China • Colombia • Cuba • Egypt • Georgia • Iran • Iraq • Israel • Jordan • Kazakhstan • Kuwait • Kyrgyzstan • Lebanon • Libya • Moldova • Morocco • North Korea • Oman • Palestine • Peru • Qatar • Russia • Saudi Arabia • Sudan • Syria • Tajikistan • Tunisia • Turkey • Turkmenistan • United Arab Emirates • Ukraine • Uzbekistan • Yemen

Click here for further information about registering with the police

Whilst in the UK it would be a good idea for you to carry with you at all times:

  • a copy of your passport details page;
  • a copy of your student visa;
  • your Student Card.


UK Study Tours footer-logo 110pxUK Study Tours is one of the largest specialist student tours provider in the UK; they organise student travel to some of the most popular and famous cities and historical monuments in the country, as well as to destinations such as France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Several tours depart from Bournemouth each week; a full up-to-date listing is available at

Health and Healthcare

When you arrive in the UK you should register with a local doctor (a GP) as soon as you can. Do not wait until you are ill.

Please download and keep our Health and Healthcare leaflet, it is full of practical information on how to obtain medical treatment and also explains international students’ entitlement to free medical treatment under the UK state health system. It describes the different options such as Accident & Emergency, visiting your GP and hospital appointments.

Reminder: the accident and emergency department is for emergencies only, if you are unsure you should call NHS 111 first or visit your pharmacy, they will be able to advise you.

Holidays and Nights Away

Please remember that you are not allowed to take holiday in term time. You need to book excursions and holidays at the weekends or when there are no classes – this year’s Term Dates are listed below

If you are planning to spend any nights away from your Homestay please let the Accommodation Office know in advance using our online form:

Holiday/Going Away Form

How to access College computers

Username: your student number

Password: college

When you first access College computers you will use the password above and you will then be asked to change the password to a personal one.

How to access College wi-fi

Step 1: Locate the service called collegewifi and enter the passphrase collegewifi when requested

Step 2: When you first browse the internet you will be prompted to enter your student number and your college password.

If you need help connecting your device please visit the Learning Resource Centre or contact the Help Desk by email at or by phone on 01202 205566.

Please remember to always have your Student Card with you when on College premises.

International Student Activities

College trips, events and activities are often organised for international students. They will usually be promoted on our Facebook page.

Alba Millan Sanchez is our International Student Activities Co-ordinator, based at the International Office, Room 17 at The Lansdowne campus in Bournemouth; she can be contacted with any enquiries:

Tel: 01202 205161 or email:

Opening a Bank Account

If you are studying in the UK for a year or more it is absolutely essential to open a Bank Account as soon as possible.

When opening a Bank Account in the UK you will need your passport and a letter from The College. The process may take up to 3 weeks to complete.

Santander offers an International Student Current Account to those studying in the UK for a minimum of 1 year – details can be found at

Registering with the policeRegister with the Police wp8c733834_06

The condition to register with the police is given to people of certain nationalities, who come to the UK for more than six months.

The condition will be printed on the visa in your passport, or on your BRP card if you have one.

You must register within seven days of arriving in the UK. You can do this by going to the Foreign Nationals Registration Office at:

  • The Police Station, 5 Madeira Road, Bournemouth BH1 1QL. Telephone 01202 220693
    Open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, 9:30am – 12:00 noon on each of these days

Please visit the Dorset Police website for full details

Countries whose citizens are required to Register with the police:

Afghanistan • Algeria • Argentina • Armenia • Azerbaijan • Bahrain • Belarus • Bolivia • Brazil • China • Colombia • Cuba • Egypt • Georgia • Iran • Iraq • Israel • Jordan • Kazakhstan • Kuwait • Kyrgyzstan • Lebanon • Libya • Moldova • Morocco • North Korea • Oman • Palestine • Peru • Qatar • Russia • Saudi Arabia • Sudan • Syria • Tajikistan • Tunisia • Turkey • Turkmenistan • United Arab Emirates • Ukraine • Uzbekistan • Yemen

You can check the list of countries whose nationals need to register in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules.

Short-term Study Visas for Students

Starting a College course is a challenging experience, especially for an International student studying away from home. You can find helpful information about what you need to do before you can apply for a Short-term study visa and what to do when you arrive in the UK is available at the GOV.UK website:

Apply for a Short-term study visa: step-by step

If you have any questions please contact the International Team who are happy to advise you.

Staying Safe and Well – advice and support

Safeguarding contacts

You have the right to be and feel safe. Please contact the Safeguarding number for your site if you have a concern about yourself or another person:

Lansdowne & Apprentices – call 07774 974781

North Road & Fulcrum – call 07714 851103

Safeguarding covers issues such as Physical abuse, Sexual abuse, Emotional abuse, Bullying, Discrimination and Neglect.

We will always treat any information you share with us as confidential. However, if you tell us that you or someone else is being abused or is in danger, we have a duty of care and must take further action.

Wellbeing Drop In Sessions

advice-support-300pxWellbeing drop-in sessions are run five days a week at each of our campuses
Monday to Thursday 8.30am – 5pm
Friday 8.30am – 4.30pm
No appointment needed

Lansdowne at the Link
North Road in the e-Lounge
The Fulcrum please ask canteen staff


How to keep yourself safe during your time in the UK
  • Keep your host family informed when you go out. You should tell them where you are going, who you are with and what time you will be home. Always go out with people you know and trust.
  • You should always carry your mobile phone – check the battery is well charged – and make sure you have your host family’s phone number saved.
  • If you are 16 years old you must be home by 9pm.
  • If you are 17 years old you must be home by 10pm.
  • If you are 18 years old or older, you should be considerate of your host family.
  • You must be 18 years old or older to purchase cigarettes, tobacco and alcohol. You may be asked for proof of age.
  • You must not carry drugs of any kind with you (unless prescribed by a doctor) and you must not use any illegal drugs. Please refer to the Zero Tolerance Policy in the College Code of Conduct, which can be found in the Student Handbook.
  • If you are cycling you should wear a helmet and light-coloured or fluorescent clothing. At night your bicycle MUST have white front light and a red rear light. It is illegal to ride a bicycle on the pavement so please use cycle paths or the road. You should also ensure that you secure your bicycle with a good quality lock to avoid theft. To find out more about the rules for cyclists in the UK please see the The Highway Code
  • Do not leave your bag or other possessions unattended in public, it may be stolen or treated as suspicious. Try not to carry large amounts of money, or other valuable possessions with you.
  • In an emergency you should call 999 for the police, fire or ambulance service.
  • If you require non-emergency police attention, you should call 101.
  • If you require non-emergency medical advice, you should call 111.
Risks associated with underage drinking

Please download the factsheet PDF

Where to go for help

BPCSU Student Support

Find more information on how to access support at the Student Advice Portal:

Bournemouth street map
Streets map, Bournemouth

1554 streets – find them by name

Poole street map
Streets map, Poole

1327 streets – find them by name

Student Card

When you enrol you will be given a Student Card which includes your Student Number. You must have your card with you when on College premises. We recommend you carry it with you at all times whilst you are in the UK.

NUS Extra - student discountsStudent discounts

The National Union of Students (NUS) offers hundreds of discounts exclusively for students with their NUS Extra Student Discount Card.

You can register and buy a card valid for 1, 2 or 3 years from just £12 at the NUS website:

The card is also available to purchase from The Hub at the Lansdowne or The eLounge at North Road.

BPCSU The Bournemouth and Poole College Students' UnionStudents’ Union

The Students’ Union is run by students for students. There is always something going on, giving you the chance to meet other students and make new friends.


Telephone The Link at Bournemouth, The Lansdowne 01202 205896

Telephone The Link at Poole, North Road 01202 205660