Welcome Information for New Students

All you need to know to make the most of your time with us


Nick Harris, Director of International and Teacher Training

Nick Harris, Director of International and Teacher Training

Welcome to the UK and to The Bournemouth and Poole College!

The information below should provide you with all you need to know to start finding your way around and to make the most of your time as a member of our student community.

The International Team

Here to help, advise and support. 
Meet the Team for names, faces and contact details…

Buses and Bus Passes

Both main College campuses are well served by local bus routes. There are two local bus companies that offer bus passes that will save you money if you are a regular traveller.

  • Yellow Buses operate in Bournemouth and east to Christchurch and beyond. They have a customer service office in Avenue Road in the centre of Bournemouth.
  • More Buses (Wilts & Dorset red buses) operate in Bournemouth and west to Poole and beyond. They have an office and travel shop at Poole Bus Station.

Campus Map

Lansdowne campus map
Bournemouth – The Lansdowne

Meyrick Road, Bournemouth BH1 3JJ
Download a pdf copy of the campus map

Campus Map

North Road campus map
Poole – North Road

North Road, Poole BH14 0LS
Download a pdf copy of the campus map

The Lansdowne campus, Bournemouth

Meyrick Road, Bournemouth BH1 3JJ

North Road campus, Poole

North Road, Poole BH14 0LS
British Council 'Creating Confidence' Guide 2018-19

Creating Confidence

Making sure that your time studying in the UK is safe and enjoyable.

Download the British Council Study UK Creating Confidence Guide for a wide range of useful information for International students.

Documents to take to the International Office on arrival

The International Office will need to have a photocopy of your passport details page, student visa page and Police Registration Certificate (if applicable).

 Police Registration Information, Chinese LanguageCountries whose citizens are required to Register with the police:

Afghanistan • Algeria • Argentina • Armenia • Azerbaijan • Bahrain • Belarus • Bolivia • Brazil • China • Colombia • Cuba • Egypt • Georgia • Iran • Iraq • Israel • Jordan • Kazakhstan • Kuwait • Kyrgyzstan • Lebanon • Libya • Moldova • Morocco • North Korea • Oman • Palestine • Peru • Qatar • Russia • Saudi Arabia • Sudan • Syria • Tajikistan • Tunisia • Turkey • Turkmenistan • United Arab Emirates • Ukraine • Uzbekistan • Yemen

Click here for further information about registering with the police

Whilst in the UK it would be a good idea for you to carry with you at all times:

  • a copy of your passport details page;
  • a copy of your student visa;
  • your Student Card.


UK Study Tours footer-logo 110pxUK Study Tours is one of the largest specialist student tours provider in the UK; they organise student travel to some of the most popular and famous cities and historical monuments in the country, as well as to destinations such as France, Belgium, Holland and Germany.

Several tours depart from Bournemouth each week; a full up-to-date listing is available at www.ukstudytours.com/departure-region/bournemouth


Please remember that you are not allowed to take holiday in term time. You need to book excursions and holidays at the weekends or when there are no classes.

This year’s Term dates are listed below

How to access College computers

Username: your student number

Password: college

When you first access College computers you will use the password above and you will then be asked to change the password to a personal one.

How to access College wi-fi

Step 1: Locate the service called collegewifi and enter the passphrase collegewifi when requested

Step 2: When you first browse the internet you will be prompted to enter your student number and your college password.

If you need help connecting your device please visit the Learning Resource Centre or contact the Help Desk by email at helpdesk@bpc.ac.uk or by phone on 01202 205566.

Please remember to always have your Student Card with you when on College premises.

International Student Activities

College trips, events and activities are often organised for international students. They will usually be promoted on our Facebook page.

Alba Millan Sanchez is our International Student Activities Co-ordinator, based at the International Office, Room 17 at The Lansdowne campus in Bournemouth; she can be contacted with any enquiries:

Tel: 01202 205161 or email: millansancheza@bpc.ac.uk

Opening a Bank Account

If you are studying in the UK for a year or more it is absolutely essential to open a Bank Account as soon as possible.

When opening a Bank Account in the UK you will need your passport and a letter from The College. The process may take up to 3 weeks to complete.

Santander offers an International Student Current Account to those studying in the UK for a minimum of 1 year – details can be found at www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/student-graduate-current-accounts/international-student-current-account

Register with a GP, Chinese LanguageRegistering with a GP and Dentist

The College strongly recommends that you register with a GP within the first two weeks of arriving in the UK, even if you do not feel ill. This will make it easier to see the Doctor when you need to, as they are often unable to give appointments to those not registered at their surgery, except in a real emergency.

To register at your local Doctor’s Surgery or Health Centre, you will need the following:

  • Your passport.
  • Evidence that you are a student e.g. a letter from The College confirming your studies, or your Student Card.
  • Proof of your UK address e.g. accommodation contract your tenancy agreement.
NHS Local Services

You can use NHS Choices at www.nhs.uk/service-search to find your local:

  • Doctor’s surgery.
  • Dentist.
  • Optician (for vision tests, glasses/spectacles, contact lenses etc.)
  • Pharmacy, also known as chemist.
The following NHS treatment is free for everyone:
  • Some emergency treatment (but not follow-up treatment).
  • Family planning services.
  • Diagnosis and treatment of certain communicable diseases.
  • Compulsory psychiatric treatment.

To qualify for any other NHS treatment, you must meet certain conditions:

  • Courses of six months or more in England, Wales or Northern Ireland OR courses of any duration in Scotland.
Dealing with Medical Emergencies

Call 999 if you need immediate medical assistance (for example because of an accident). The call is free from all telephones (including from mobile phones). An operator will ask you what service you need e.g. Fire, Police, Ambulance or Coastguard. For urgent medical assistance ask for the Ambulance service. Be ready to tell the emergency services what has happened and exactly where you are, especially the street name.

If you need urgent medical treatment, but you are well enough to travel, you can make your own way by bus or taxi to Accident and Emergency (A&E) department at the nearest Hospital, or ask a friend to take you.

Please note: you should only use A&E departments for emergency treatment for serious illness or injury.

Registering with the policeRegister with the Police wp8c733834_06

The condition to register with the police is given to people of certain nationalities, who come to the UK for more than six months. 

The condition will be printed on the visa in your passport, or on your BRP card if you have one.

You must register within seven days of arriving in the UK. You can do this by going to the Foreign Nationals Registration Office at:

The Police Station, Madeira Road, Bournemouth BH1 1QQ. Telephone 01202 220693

Open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday, 9:30am – 12:00 noon on each of these days

Please visit the Dorset Police website for full details

Countries whose citizens are required to Register with the police:

Afghanistan • Algeria • Argentina • Armenia • Azerbaijan • Bahrain • Belarus • Bolivia • Brazil • China • Colombia • Cuba • Egypt • Georgia • Iran • Iraq • Israel • Jordan • Kazakhstan • Kuwait • Kyrgyzstan • Lebanon • Libya • Moldova • Morocco • North Korea • Oman • Palestine • Peru • Qatar • Russia • Saudi Arabia • Sudan • Syria • Tajikistan • Tunisia • Turkey • Turkmenistan • United Arab Emirates • Ukraine • Uzbekistan • Yemen

You can check the list of countries whose nationals need to register in Appendix 2 of the Immigration Rules.

Safeguarding contacts

You have the right to be and feel safe. Please contact the Safeguarding number for your site if you have a concern about yourself or another person:

Lansdowne & Apprentices – call 07774 974781

North Road & Fulcrum – call 07714 851103

Safeguarding covers issues such as Physical abuse, Sexual abuse, Emotional abuse, Bullying, Discrimination and Neglect.

We will always treat any information you share with us as confidential. However, if you tell us that you or someone else is being abused or is in danger, we have a duty of care and must take further action.

Bournemouth street map

1554 streets – find them by name

Poole street map

1327 streets – find them by name

Student Card

When you enrol you will be given a Student Card which includes your Student Number. You must have your card with you when on College premises. We recommend you carry it with you at all times whilst you are in the UK.

NUS Extra - student discountsStudent discounts

The National Union of Students (NUS) offers hundreds of discounts exclusively for students with their NUS Extra Student Discount Card.

You can register and buy a card valid for 1, 2 or 3 years from just £12 at the NUS website: www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra

The card is also available to purchase from The Hub at the Lansdowne or The eLounge at North Road.

BPCSU The Bournemouth and Poole College Students' UnionStudents’ Union

The Students’ Union is run by students for students. There is always something going on, giving you the chance to meet other students and make new friends.

Website: www.studentfirst.org.uk

Telephone The Link at Bournemouth, The Lansdowne 01202 205896

Telephone The Link at Poole, North Road 01202 205660

Email: thelink@bpc.ac.uk

Tier 4 – Students Rights and Responsibilities

Starting a College course is challenging for any student. As a Tier 4 (General) international student you have additional responsibilities regarding your College attendance and other activities during your stay in the UK. Failure to abide by the rules may put your immigration status at risk and your visa may be curtailed or cancelled. Please follow the information and advice that can be found at :

UKVI Tier 4 (General) Visa – Student Advice

Ignorance is no defence. Remember, if you break the rules UKVI will not accept the excuse that you do not understand the rules, and it can have serious consequences for you.

If you have any questions please contact the International Team who are there to advise you.

UKVI Advice for Tier 4 Students

If you receive an unexpected email, telephone call or letter from someone who claims to be from the Home Office, it may be a scam.

Download the UKVI Fact Sheet

British Council 'Creating Confidence' Guide 2018-19
Term Dates 2018-19
Term Dates 2018-19
Autumn Term10 September - 19 December 2018
Half-Term (no classes)22 - 26 October 2018
Christmas Holiday20 December - 04 January 2019
Spring Term07 January - 05 April 2019
Half-Term (no classes)18 - 22 February 2019
Easter Holiday08 - 22 April 2019
Summer Term23 April - 04 July 2019
Half-Term (no classes)27 May - 31 May 2019
English Language programmes start from 15 July to 19 August 2019 with a minimum period of study of 2 weeks
Term Dates 2019-20

Term Dates 2019-20
Autumn Term09 September - 20 December 2019
Half-Term (no classes)28 October - 01 November 2019
Christmas Holiday20 December 2019 - 03 January 2020
Spring Term06 January - 03 April 2020
Half-Term (no classes)17 February - 21 February 2020
Easter Holiday06 April - 17 April 2020
Summer Term20 April - 02 July 2020
Half-Term (no classes)25 May - 29 May 2020
English Language programmes start every Monday except for UK Bank Holidays, and directly before a College holiday. Summer / Winter School starts any Monday during July and August / January and February.