Learning Support

You are here

Learning support at The Bournemouth & Poole College

Need a bit of extra support?

Our Study Advice Centres are open to every student.

Run by fully trained staff, our Study Advice Centres are here to help you with any challenges you might face with your studies.

The team can help with anything from exam preparation and managing your workload through to getting to grips with the modern technology you need for your studies. They can also help with basic English or maths, even if it is not a required part of your course.

Is English your second language?

The Study Advice Team can help you with your college work and assignments. We can offer assistance with proofreading, planning and organisation, referencing and where appropriate we can organise special exam arrangements.

Specialist and personal support

Our Study Advice Team are trained to help students who might need more specialist support if they have learning difficulties or suspected learning difficulties.

We can help students with Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Asperger’s Syndrome, visual or hearing impairments, physical disability and mental health difficulties.

Our support is broad and tailored to your needs. We may be able to provide adapted materials, specialist software and if required we can make special arrangements for exams. This could include laptops, note-taking equipment, Dictaphones, screen-reading software and large-print materials. Alternatively we can help through 1-1 support with a Learning Support Tutor or provide access to assistive technology loans.

Get in touch, our doors are always open

Please let us know if you think you may need any help as early as you can. Talk to us before you start, or complete a form when you enrol if you have any concerns.

This does not affect how we consider applications.

A Local Offer gives young people with special educational needs or disabilities and their families information about what support services are available in their local area. Please click on the link below for information on the types of courses and support available at Bournemouth and Poole College.

Disabled Students’ Allowance

Disabled Students AllowancesAs a higher education student living in England, you can apply for a Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA) if you have a disability, including a:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty, eg dyslexia

The support you get depends on your individual needs and not on income.

Further information including how to apply is available from: gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview


Contact information

Phone: 01202 205359 / 205956
Email: learningsupport@thecollege.co.uk
Visit: Room 122, North Road, Poole or Room 91-94, Lansdowne, Bournemouth