Q. Do I live close enough to the college to become a Homestay host?
A. Students must be able to get from your home to the college by 9am in under 40 minutes and using just one direct bus. Check your journey to our college in Lansdowne (BH1 3JJ) and our college in Poole (BH14 0LS) to find out if your location meets the criteria.
Q. What needs to be in the student’s bedroom?
A. The student bedroom must provide the below:
- Standard, good condition bed and mattress (futons, pull out couches or bunk beds are not permitted)
- Adequate space around the bed for students to change comfortably and sufficient head room above
- Desk or suitable surface for study with a satisfactory level of lighting
- At least one chair
- Bedside cabinet or table
- Chest of drawers
- A window which can be opened for ventilation, which provides a good level of natural light by day and with curtains or blinds which can be drawn at night
- Electrical sockets sufficient in number and appropriately located for electrical equipment to be used without excessive or dangerous use of trailing extension cables
- A safe and adjustable source of heating
- Provision to keep personal items in a lockable cupboard, drawer or box
- Suitable flooring which does not risk splinters or cuts or present a risk of tripping, and is of acceptable cleanliness and condition.
Please note that for twin rooms there must be two of each piece of furniture listed.
Q. What age will the students be?
A. Students requiring homestay will be aged 16 years and above. Very occasionally we may also require group leaders/teachers to be hosted but we will always ask before placing anyone with you.
Q. When do the students arrive?
A. There is no set day or time in the academic year for students to arrive. We accept students all throughout the academic year and during the summer also.
Q. How long does it take to become set up as a host?
A. If your application is accepted it takes approximately 10-12 weeks to become set up as a host, however the timings can be greatly affected by the DBS application process. Please note that we are not always looking for new host families as it will depend on the current demand.