Welcome Information for Homestay StudentsGetting about and staying safe, well and happy
The Student Accommodation Team
Welcome! We are here to help, advise and support.
The Accommodation Team are responsible for allocating your accommodation and ensuring you stay safe, well and happy in your home-away-from-home.
The information below should provide you with the information you need to find your way around and to make the most of your time living and studying in the Bournemouth and Poole area.
The Accommodation Team: Alba, Sadie and Fiona
The Accommodation Office
Drop in at Lansdowne (Room 21)
Monday – Thursday, 8.30am – 5pm
Friday, 8.30am – 4.30pm
Drop in at North Road (Room 1205)
Wednesday, 9am – 4pm
Email us at
Phone us on 01202 205317
Information you will need for your stay
We suggest you download and keep this document for future reference
Agreement for Students in Homestay Accomodation
Buses and Bus Passes
- Yellow Buses operate in Bournemouth and east to Christchurch and beyond. They have a customer service office in Avenue Road in the centre of Bournemouth.
- More Buses (Wilts & Dorset red buses) operate in Bournemouth and west to Poole and beyond. They have an office and travel shop at Poole Bus Station.
Bournemouth – The Lansdowne
Meyrick Road, Bournemouth BH1 3JJ
Download a pdf copy of the campus map
Poole – North Road
North Road, Poole BH14 0LS
Download a pdf copy of the campus map
Holidays & Nights Away
Please remember that you are not allowed to take holiday in term time. You need to book excursions and holidays at the weekends or when there are no classes – this year’s Term Dates are listed below
If you are planning to spend any nights away from your Homestay please let the Accommodation Office know in advance using our online form:
How to access College computers and Wi-Fi
Username: your student number
When you first access College computers you will use the password above and you will then be asked to change the password to a personal one.
Step 1: Locate the service called collegewifi and enter the passphrase collegewifi when requested
Step 2: When you first browse the internet you will be prompted to enter your student number and your college password.
If you need help connecting your device please visit the Learning Resource Centre or contact the Help Desk by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 01202 205566.
Please remember to always have your Student Card with you when on College premises.
Opening a Bank Account
If you are studying in the UK for a year or more it is absolutely essential to open a Bank Account as soon as possible.
When opening a Bank Account in the UK you will need your passport and a letter from The College. The process may take up to 3 weeks to complete.
Santander offers an International Student Current Account to those studying in the UK for a minimum of 1 year – details can be found at www.santander.co.uk/uk/current-accounts/student-graduate-current-accounts/international-student-current-account
Staying Safe and Well – advice and support
You have the right to be and feel safe. Please contact the Safeguarding number for your site if you have a concern about yourself or another person:
Lansdowne & Apprentices – call 07774 974781
North Road & Fulcrum – call 07714 851103
Safeguarding covers issues such as Physical abuse, Sexual abuse, Emotional abuse, Bullying, Discrimination and Neglect.
We will always treat any information you share with us as confidential. However, if you tell us that you or someone else is being abused or is in danger, we have a duty of care and must take further action.
Wellbeing Drop In Sessions
Lansdowne at the Link
North Road in the e-Lounge
The Fulcrum please ask canteen staff
OFFERING ADVICE AND SUPPORT FOR STUDENTS, INCLUDING STUDENT FINANCE • MENTAL HEALTH & WELLBEING • DRUGS & ALCOHOL
How to keep yourself safe during your time in the UK
- Keep your host family informed when you go out. You should tell them where you are going, who you are with and what time you will be home. Always go out with people you know and trust.
- You should always carry your mobile phone – check the battery is well charged – and make sure you have your host family’s phone number saved.
- If you are 16 years old you must be home by 9pm.
- If you are 17 years old you must be home by 10pm.
- If you are 18 years old or older, you should be considerate of your host family.
- You must be 18 years old or older to purchase cigarettes, tobacco and alcohol. You may be asked for proof of age.
- You must not carry drugs of any kind with you (unless prescribed by a doctor) and you must not use any illegal drugs. Please refer to the Zero Tolerance Policy in the College Code of Conduct, which can be found in the Student Handbook.
- If you are cycling you should wear a helmet and light-coloured or fluorescent clothing. At night your bicycle MUST have white front light and a red rear light. It is illegal to ride a bicycle on the pavement so please use cycle paths or the road. You should also ensure that you secure your bicycle with a good quality lock to avoid theft. To find out more about the rules for cyclists in the UK please see the The Highway Code www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-cyclists-59-to-82.
- Do not leave your bag or other possessions unattended in public, it may be stolen or treated as suspicious. Try not to carry large amounts of money, or other valuable possessions with you.
- In an emergency you should call 999 for the police, fire or ambulance service.
- If you require non-emergency police attention, you should call 101.
- If you require non-emergency medical advice, you should call 111.
Risks associated with underage drinking
Where to go for help
BPCSU Student Support
Find more information on how to access support at the Student Advice Portal:
When you enrol you will be given a Student Card which includes your Student Number. You must have your card with you when on College premises. We recommend you carry it with you at all times whilst you are in the UK.
You can register and buy a card valid for 1, 2 or 3 years from just £12 at the NUS website: www.nus.org.uk/en/nus-extra
The card is also available to purchase from The Hub at the Lansdowne or The eLounge at North Road.
Telephone The Link at Bournemouth, The Lansdowne 01202 205896
Telephone The Link at Poole, North Road 01202 205660
Term Dates 2019-20
Things to Do, Places to Go
Find out what’s on in the local area: