Do you have a question about work experience?
Here are the most commonly asked questions.
Does is cost me to take on a student for work experience?
- No cost to the employer; this is a on a voluntary basis, however it could lead to paid work.
What do I need to have in place?
- Employer’s liability insurance
- No lone working (more than 2 employees within the company)
- Follow safeguarding policies – hyper link to college safeguarding page
- A supervisor/mentor whilst on work experience
- A valid health and safety check
What do I expect from a student on placement?
- The students experience should be heavily based on a typical working day within your company. The student should gain work related skills and be punctual and don’t be afraid if the student asks questions. This is all for their personal development and research.
- Our students should be punctual, enthusiastic and show a willingness to learn.
- Yes, they might be shy/nervous, but we recommend a pre interview or phone call chat beforehand. This is good practise and builds confidence. This is all about gaining employability skills ready for their future.
How do I offer a work experience placement?
- Firstly, you can offer a direct placement for a student and the student will let us know, so we can make contact with the business. We will go through the dates, typical working week pattern and points of contact. The process is very simple and all employers will have direct contact within the college, this is usually the work experience team.
- Secondly, you can contact us at the college and we shall contact you back to discuss your opportunity.
- Thirdly, you can connect to us via social media so all our students can be aware.
- Email: email@example.com