What courses can I do after this?
Progression at The College to the IMI Level 2 Automotive course or join our Apprenticeship programme in the Automotive industry.
What jobs can I get?
Potential jobs after completing Level 1 and Level 2 courses also include Light Vehicle Service Technician, Parts Advisor, Tyre Technician, MOT Vehicle Examiner, or Workshop Controller.
Please see the link below to the IMI's Careers page.
To do this course you should have...
You will need to achieve GCSEs grades D-G including English and maths grades 3-1. Alternatively successful completion of a Foundation Entry Level 3 qualification and have achieved an Entry Level 3 Functional Skill in English and maths.
What about work experience?
All students are expected to complete a period of work experience, your tutor will assist with this.
|Course Code||Start Date||Costs 16-18||Costs 19-23 (with concessions)||Costs 19+ (no concessions)|
* Please note fees are subject to change.
Level 1 Certificate in Automotive Maintenance (IMI)
- Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Tools, Equipment, and Consumable Materials for Vehicle Maintenance
- Engine Operation and Components
- Spark Ignition System Components and Maintenance
- Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel System Components and Maintenance
- Compression-Ignition Engine Fuel System Components and Maintenance
- Exhaust System Components and Maintenance
- Suspension System Components and Maintenance
- Braking System Components and Maintenance
- Wheel and Tyre Construction and Maintenance
These units are practical and theory-based with approximately a 50/50 split between workshop and theory lesson.
Extension topics include:
- Introduction to Low Carbon Technologies
- Preparation to Become a Vehicle Driver
- Lubrication System Components and Maintenance
- Vehicle inspections
Hours of attendance and start date will be confirmed at interview or enrolment.
More about the course
You will need to provide suitable overalls and safety boots which must always be worn at all times in the workshops, you will need to bring pens and an A4 notebook to keep a record of your learning.
Students will be expected to complete an additional two hours minimum of self-study each week.
There is a £100 materials fee to be paid at enrolment.
Students will be required to complete an additional two hours minimum of self-study each week through the IMI E-portfolio