What courses can I do after this?
Progression to the BEng/MEng (Hons) Engineering is an option for appropriate students.
To do this course you should have...
- Four GCSEs at at least grade 4/C, to include English and mathematics or an equivalent qualification, plus
- One A Level at grade C in a relevant subject or equivalent AVCE or National Diploma / Certificate (or equivalent UK or overseas qualifications), or
- A BTEC National Certificate or National Diploma in Manufacturing or Engineering (Mechanical Design). Students should normally have a Merit in Mathematics and/or Mechanical Principles,
- An Access to Higher Education Diploma
- Applicants should have good literacy and numerical skills appropriate to the programme, a good understanding of computing and an aptitude for technical work
UCAS tariff points 32 from one full A Level or equivalent Level 3 qualification in a relevant subject
Relevant subjects: Physics, Maths, CDT, Engineering
120 Level C credits from an HNC in an appropriate discipline
Normally at least 40 credits should be at Merit level or above and 20 of these credits should be from a mathematical analytical unit
HNC - £3,250 per academic year
FdEng - £4,000
Students who are eligible, can apply for a student loan with Student Finance.
HNC Years 1 & 2 – Level 4 (Part time over 2 academic years or full time over 1 academic year)
- Analytical Methods for Manufacturing
- Business & Project Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Electrical & Electronic Principles for Marine Applications
- Mechanical Design Principles
FdEng Year 3 - Level 5 (1 calendar year)
- Marine Auxiliary Systems
- Major Project
- Quality Management
- The Engineering Professional
- Work Based Unit
More about the course
Covid-19 Update - September 2020
During the first semester of this course you will be taught on campus for lab, practical and workshop sessions, backed up with relevant seminars and online resources. It is hoped that small group lectures and tutorials will also be delivered on-campus depending on government guidance.
We hope to have a full programme of face-to-face sessions on campus for all courses from January if government guidelines permit.
You will be able to use the Library, the Student Centre, Open Access Centre and social learning spaces, subject to physical distancing measures to undertake group and other work.
There will be no other changes to the content of your course as a result of Covid-19; we will deliver all of the units?we have previously promised we would, and we are not making any changes to the individual learning outcomes on your course.? ?
It’s important that you know these changes are temporary and that we will be back to our usual on-campus experience as soon as national guidance makes it possible.?
See our?Coronavirus?FAQs?for the latest information?from BU.?
This is the latest information, updated?on 20?July. We will update this page when more information is available, and we can confirm any additional on-campus activity.
Attendance: Part time over 3 years (2 academic years for the HNC plus 1 calendar year for the FdEng) or full time over 2 years (1 academic year for the HNC plus 1 calendar year for the FdEng)
Applications: Please note that students taking the part-time HNC/FdEng should apply directly to The Bournemouth & Poole College and not via the UCAS process. Please contact the Course Administrator on +44 (0) 1202 205648 or:
The Higher Education Unit +44 (0)1202 205180
Venue: The course is delivered at The College's North Road campus, Poole
The college reserves the right to make changes to the information given, including the addition, withdrawal, re-location or restructuring of courses.