What is Psychometric testing?
Assessing your personality attributes and abilities to carry out specific tasks.
Expect to encounter psychometric testing, if you intend to apply to major graduate recruiters for jobs or course placements. Commonly a combination of Numerical and Verbal Reasoning ability tests at graduate level and maybe an untimed Personality questionnaire or practical/technical test, depending on the job applied for.
Tests are normally timed and you must learn to work accurately at speed. Practice will give you a fairer chance of success, by overcoming nerves and learning test techniques.
Tests could also give you an opportunity to find out more about yourself and your abilities.
Testing is usually only one part of a selection process that might include any combination of interviews, group exercises, a presentation and informal information session. With larger recruiters, this is likely to take place in an assessment centre.
- Graduate Prospects - national careers site for HE students studying in the UK:
Interview tests and exercises
- University of Sussex Careers & Employability Centre offers a useful summary
- Tartget jobs give an excellent description about what Psychometric tests are and why graduates need to know about them and also about Assessment centres and what they involve
- SHL - offers you the opportunity to practise the type of tests and questionnaires used by leading employers. Go to 'Assessment Advice' + 'Practice Tests'
- Morrisby offer you practice questions for online career assessments
- Psychological Testing Centre of The British Psychological Society - click on sub-heading 'About Psychological Testing'