BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary/ Extended Diploma in Public Services
The exact date and hours of attendance will be confirmed at enrolment or interview.
This Level 3 course is designed for those interested in careers in any of the uniformed services including the armed forces, ambulance service, police, fire service, prison service and Customs and Excise. However, these public services have their own selection procedures and successful completion of the Extended Diploma does not guarantee entry. The Level 3 Extended Diploma provides access to a course in higher education as well as a good starting point for those wishing to work in sports or outdoor pursuits, as units include a variety of outdoor and fitness sessions such as kayaking, rock climbing, mountaineering, sailing and practical gym work.
You will study a range of units such as:
• Citizenship, diversity and public service
• Leadership and teamwork
• Government policies and the public services
• Communication and technology in the uniformed public services
• Fundamentals of nautical studies
• International perspectives for the uniformed public services
• Outdoor and adventurous expeditions
• Physical preparation and fitness for the uniformed public services
• Fitness testing and training for public service
• Responding to emergency services incidents
• Skills for land-based outdoor and adventurous activities
• Skills for water based outdoor and adventurous activities
• The planning for and management of major incidents
• Understanding aspects of the legal system and law making processes
• Understanding behaviour in public sector employment
• Understanding discipline within public services
• Understanding the criminal justice system and police powers
• Uniformed public services employment
Units for the subsidiary diploma are completed in the first two terms and the remainder completed by the end of year 2.
A minimum of 4 GCSEs Grade A* - C or above including English, or equivalent qualification, or the BTEC Level 2 Diploma in Public Services. You should demonstrate a genuine interest in uniformed public services. We will discuss your interests, experience and ambitions at interview. Students over the age of 19 without the standard entry requirements may be eligible for this course, subject to previous experience.
If English is not your first language, a minimum IELTS (Academic) of 5.5, Cambridge FCE, TOEFL 71(internet based), 197 (computer based) or TOEIC 850 is required. Completion of High School studies with good passes is required.
All units are assessed internally through a variety of coursework activities including assignments and practical tasks.
On successful completion of the course you will have the skills and knowledge to progress to employment in many of the uniformed services or on to further study on a Foundation Degree or Degree programme - this qualification is equivalent to 3 A Levels.
£5900 per year to include books, examination fees and registration fees. There may be additional costs for educational visits, uniforms, materials etc. and this cost will be advised on application.
Students taking the Subsidiary/Extended Diploma will enjoy close contact with the public services through residential visits, guest speakers, competitions and service insight courses, plus volunteering opportunities and access to off campus facilities for a range of activities including sailing, rock climbing and expeditions. You will have the opportunity to gain a first aid qualification an employability qualification and participate in a number of volunteer activities.